Christmas just isn’t Christmas without a traditional pudding! There is nothing else quite like that fragrant aroma of spices and all that fruity goodness. I am so excited to share this gluten, dairy and refined sugar free healthy Christmas pudding recipe with you all. I've been waiting to share this one for ages!
It is unbelievably simple and is a lovely light way to end your Christmas meal so it won't bloat you out like traditional versions and you hardly need to add any sweetness as the dried fruits add sweetness and moisture.
On Christmas Day I will be serving it with my light version of Brandy Butter. To make this healthier version of Brandy Butter, all you have to do is mix 6 tbsps brandy, 6 oz unsalted butter and 6oz coconut sugar.
I love reworking classic recipes and had so much fun creating this recipe that I can't wait to get stuck into it on Christmas day!
225g dried mixed fruit
50ml brand or Old Luxters Orange Liqueur
50g goji berries
75g buckwheat flour
1/2 tsp mixed spice
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp cloves
50g ground almonds
Zest and juice of 1 lemon and 1 orange
120g peeled and grated eating apples
120g grated carrot
60ml unsweetened almond milk
2 tbsps date syrup
1. Soak the dried fruit in the brandy overnight in a bowl covered with a tea towel
2. Mix together the flour, spices, sugar and almonds
3. Add in the soaked fruit, orange and lemon juice and zest and grated carrot and apple
4. Beat the eggs with the almond milk and date syrup (or maple syrup or raw honey). Then gradually add this mixture into the other mixture. So many mixtures!
5. Place into a greased pudding bowl. Cover with foil.
6. Steam for 3 hours in a large saucepan with a lid, keeping the water topped up.
7. Remove from the saucepan - cool and wrap the bowl in parchment paper.
8. Reheat on Christmas Day!
All this pudding talk is making me hungry...
Bring on Christmas day!
Peace, love & Christmas wishes