As far as flavours go, chocolate and orange are best mates. If they decided to take it a step further, their couple name could be Chorange or Oranglate. Yeah maybe that last one isn't a winner.
Everyone needs a reliable go-to party cake and this one is definitely going to be mine!
It looks the business and has such a great texture.
Each flaked almond, pistachio, goji berry and cranberry was lovingly placed onto this cake by yours truly. Did it take ages? Yup! But it was so worth it when I saw the faces on everyone when I made it for a birthday recently.
This dense, dark and devilishly decadent cake will keep for up to a week. But I'm sure you'll find yourself going back to it every so often for "just one more slice" and it'll be gone before you know it!
200g spelt flour
1 tsp baking powder
150g coconut sugar
50g maple syrup
100ml coconut oil
Juice and zest of two large oranges
1/2 tsp orange oil
Pinch of salt
100ml plant based milk
2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
3 tbsps orange marmalade (Easy peasy to make! 1 orange - juice and zest, 3 tbsps water, 1 tbsp molasses. Heat in saucepan)
100g dark chocolate (I used one Well + Happy caramello chocolate bar and one Well + Happy Zesty chocolate bar)
1. Preheat the oven to 180C and prepare your tin by greasing with coconut oil.
2. Sift the flour, cacao powder, salt and baking powder into a mixing bowl. Then stir in the sugar.
3. In a small saucepan, add the coconut oil, orange juice and zest, milk, vinegar and marmalade. Heat on low and whisk it around.
4. Fold the mixture into the dry ingredients until all mixed up.
5. Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin and bake in the oven for around 45-50 minutes until firm to touch.
6. Allow to cool in the tin for about 15-20 mins before removing and placing on a cooling rack.
7. Eat up!